Organisation description: Sonairte – the National Ecology Centre is an environmental charity set up in 1988. Our Vision is to be a community hub enabling people to live more sustainably to address the twin environmental crises the world currently faces – the climate crisis and the biodiversity crisis. Our Mission to be an educational centre which will protect and increase understanding of the natural environment, and will educate the public and schools in ways of conserving the environment. Situated in a farm complex of noteworthy historical interest on the banks of the River Nanny near Laytown (Co. Meath), Sonairte has been certified as an organic food producer with the Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association since 1988 and subsequently by Irish Organic Trust, and has been producing and selling organic fruits, vegetables, plants and herbs and has been teaching organic horticulture and providing courses in various aspects of environmental education ever since.
Role description: The organic market gardener role will involve:
• Managing the garden for year-round, certified-organic production, including relevant machinery and equipment.
• Managing a small team of interns, volunteers, and hosted Tus and CE staff.
• Ensuring compliance with organic standards and with DAFM requirements.
• Managing harvest, preparation, packing and delivery of produce.
• Liaising with our vegan Café to produce seasonal produce for use in the café.
• Growing and expanding garden sales to restaurants, retailers and expanding the veg box delivery scheme.
• Growing and expanding garden income through courses and guided tours.
• Growing and developing garden income and educational outreach through our SEED programme for schools.
• Supervision and direction of staff to maintain the garden, garden exhibits, courtyards and Nature Trail as a safe and
educational visitor experience.
• Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Further information: The successful candidate will report directly to Dr Kim Reilly. The role is initially for 6 months at 4 days per week, with potential to extend the contract as a full time role subject to sufficient growth in garden income.
The ideal candidate will be a hard working, ambitious and driven individual with a keen interest in developing a thriving organic production enterprise.
• Ideally Level 6 qualification in horticulture, organic horticulture or equivalent.
• Experience of working in a commercial organic or artisan enterprise.
• Knowledgeable about ecological farming principles and biodiversity.
• Positive attitude and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Full, clean driving licence.
Application: Please send a CV as well as a brief covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Wednesday 8th September 2020. The CV should include the details of 2 referees. References will be taken from all candidates invited to interview. Interviews will be held by Zoom for shortlisted candidates. For more information contact Dr Kim Reilly at email@example.com
Hourly rate: €12.30 per hour
Hours of work: 28 hours (4 days per week – Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday)
Start date: 17th September 2021