Airfield is a 38-acre working educational farm and gardens located in Dundrum, Dublin 14. Our aim is to inspire and enable people to make better food choices (for their health, the planet, and their pocket) and we are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic horticulturist who will help deliver and support our mission and aims. The main remit of this position is to assist in the day-to-day operations of the gardens on the estate.
The successful candidate will be employed to assist in the day-to-day operations of the gardens, and greater estate at Airfield. This role is best suited to a hard-working enthusiastic individual who wishes to pursue a career as a craft gardener. A keen interest in plants and innovative, organic horticultural techniques is essential.
Reports to: Head Gardener
- Assist in the day-to-day maintenance and development of Airfield’s gardens including management of trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants; turf care; pest/disease/weed control; compost; path care, plant propagation, irrigation, and food production.
- Use garden/farm tools and machinery.
- Assist in the management of volunteers and students.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of Airfield Estate’s activities and programs
- Assisting with Airfields Estate’s visitor experience and educational programs
- Assist cross-departmental teams
- Interact with members of the public
- Minimum QQI Level 6 Horticultural qualification and at least 1-year practical horticultural experience.
- Ability to work within a team in all-weather conditions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to follow instructions with excellent attention to detail.
- Competent DIY and machine operating skills. (Chainsaw licence desirable).
- Relevant pesticide qualification PA1 & PA6 (desirable)
- Full Irish driver licence (essential)
- Passionate about horticulture and sustainability.
- Be flexible in working hours in line with peaks and troughs of activity in the calendar year.
- Proficient in the use of technology
- Dynamic – ability to bring energy to the organisation
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to self-motivate in a fast-moving, changing, and challenging business organisation
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels throughout the Organisation and its stakeholders
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
Salary Range: €25,000 - €30,000 depending on experience
Please email CV and cover letter by Friday 22nd October 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org